Thursday, August 10, 2006

Helvetica

Apparently there is a documentary coming out in 2007 about the typeface Helvetica. It's the first time (aside from my obvious desire to see Snakes on a Plane) in a while I've been excited about a film enough that I might want to go out of my way to see it.

Much like my idea to read books about single word subjects (Cod, Salt, Coal), the idea of Helvetica intrigues me. Most people think "how could you possibly make a feature length film about a typeface"? I think "Boy, I can't wait to hear all the minutiae of Helvetica". I'm obsessive about details. It is never enough for me to learn about something on a surface level. I want to bore down until I understand the very atoms that make up whatever I am trying to understand. I want to stretch myself to the very edge of my intellect until I can't understand it any better. And then I want to ask more questions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be cool to see a doc about Comic Sans or another such inane font that's used for really inoppropriate occasions? I could go on and on about appropriate fonts. . . do you, as I, make judgements about a person based on whether they change their e-mail settings to a different font? I have to say, I generally think it's better to stick with the default in almost all cases. I suppose Prince would be an exception . . . he would type in all Zapf dingbats, and that would be fine.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I totally already commented, but I was just reading the promo for that film . . . "Hermann Zapf" - HERMANN ZAPF????? I couldn't think of a better name for the man who created the legend of Zapf Dingbats. Although I was kind of hoping that Z-A-P-F stood for something dirty.