Friday, January 13, 2006

Things I learned today

I learned and did some cool things today! I feel smart!

First, I learned how to pass command line parameters to an application in Windows XP from the GUI. You make a shortcut, then go view the shortcut's properties. On the target line, after the actual target to execute (like C:\Heather\whatever.exe) you put a space and then add the parameters. So it looks like this: C:\Heather\whatever.exe -do -this.

When you combine this with the ability to add a keyboard command to a shortcut (also under Properties), you can pretty much conquer the world. Or at the very least launch and minimize your calendar to the system tray with a keyboard command. I already have keyboard commands for all my frequently used folders, which is a huge click saver.

Other computer related stuff: I upgraded to Thunderbird 1.5, which broke all my extensions but seems to be a big step in the right direction, especially the inline spell check and the ability to delete attachments from IMAP messages. I also installed the minimize to tray extension for Firefox and an app that minimizes Sunbird to the tray as well. Sunbird is actually a lot better than the old Thunderbird calendar extension, although I'm looking forward to an actual release of Lightning, an extension that will integrate the two.

A final Mozilla note: a quick check at my webpage stats at work reveal that Firefox is now up to 12.5% of our users. Even my parents are using it. If that's not a bad sign for Internet Explorer, I don't know what is.

No comments: