Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Nightmare on error-handling street

I woke up this morning trying to somehow work out in my sleep how I had handled an error on the website involving a person's courses if they don't have an entry in our people section. How weird is it to wake up with an SQL query in your head? Pretty weird. Even weirder, the fact that relief washed over me when I remembered "WHERE course.PID = Main.PID".

As it turns out, I had handled the error semi-correctly by my sheer incompetence, and will be spending today rewriting a whole bunch of website code to actually handle errors gracefully.

Just to make things entertaining, my work computer appears to have some sort of failure going on. It keeps throwing memory-related errors, but each individual stick of memory tests good. It only throws errors with both sticks in a dual channel configuration, but even with both sticks in single channel, the actual problem (programs quitting because memory couldn't be read) continues even if memtest can't pick up an error. ARGH!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok this is quite funny and creepy. Your last blog had something in it about only giving power if you let it. And I somehow was thinking of Nightmare on Elm street with giving Freddy power and was going to post and then I scroll up and see this title and about laugh myself to death. :-P

Heather said...

I've never watched Nightmare on Elm Street. My mom wouldn't let me when I was little, and when I wasn't little anymore, I simply didn't care.