Wednesday, March 21, 2007

YubNub

Okay, I apparently have been missing something for a while. Anyone who has known me for any length of time knows how much I prefer the keyboard over my mouse. I just found this:

http://yubnub.org/

It is important to note that the reason this is viable for me is because by default it searches Google, which is what my Firefox search box already does. But then it gives me a million gazillion (no really, like 10,000) command line options for search, and allows me to add my own. The only requirement is that the search engine uses a get request to pass the parameter, just like with addons like DictionarySearch. And it has a Firefox search bar plug-in that can take the place of my Google box (and the entire drop down menu for searching Wikipedia, IMDB, Amazon, eBay, OED, and Merriam-Webster, among others).

If anyone wants to give me a job searching the Internet, you can rest assured that I would be really, really good at it. Pre-YubNub (seriously, I will now refer to this era as PYN, commit that to memory) I was pretty good, now I am a search savant.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Search-savant Heather, I really like the "PYN" acronym you've coined!

Jon
yubnub/ning

Darias said...

I would kill for an adequately paying 'net research job.

Signed,
Googleninja