Wednesday, September 03, 2008

First Day of School!

Today was my official first day of school. It began with me waking up at 6:20 am when it was still dark out. Apparently it gets light late when you live on the western edge of your time zone. I had, I kid you not, programmed my coffeemaker the night before and laid out my clothes before bed. So I woke up this morning, put on my clothes, drank some coffee while I threw breakfast together, and put some coffee in my thermos for later. At this point, I am running about a minute late. It's 7:11. My bus comes at 7:14 and is about two blocks away. So I grab my bike and hop on, ride to the bus, and make it with time to spare.

I load my bike up on to the front rack, get on the bus, and happily settle into listening to NPR. I get off the bus and go into class, only to discover that apparently in Michigan, classes start 10 minutes after the actual starting time to allow people time to get to class. It is at this point I open my bag and notice there is a bike lock in there. "Hmmm...that's curious...OH CRAP!"

Yes, I left my bike on the front rack on the bus. Luckily I have AATA's phone number programmed into my phone. I give them a call, describe the bike and the bus I was on, and they confirm it's at the Blake Transit Center. I tell them I can come by later in the day to pick it up.

I dash back into Biostats before anything has really happened. Biostats is uneventful. I'm taking the slightly more advanced class, which hopefully will keep me interested in the material. It looks like the first third or so will be review, which I need badly. SPSS is the statistical software package. Not my favorite, but probably won't kill me.

Next I go fill out my employment paperwork and find out where exactly my financial aid money is (answer: no one knows). I grab another coffee and head back into class.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have the unfortunate schedule of 11:30 to 2:30 straight. First Econ, which terrifies me. We talk about indifference curves. I felt pretty indifferent. Then my Health Services System class. It's the class that collects tiny details about health services! I'm SO excited.

Once that was over, I went and picked up my bike. I got thai at "No Thai", whose incomprehensible naming story can be found here, and did some shopping at the food co-op in Kerrytown. Headed home on the bus, watching my new secret shame, "The Hills".

Overall, a good first day. I am still totally wiped out every day by 3:30 or so, but I think it will get better. I'm just trying to balance getting stuff done with getting enough rest to stay calm and relaxed. Time will tell how well I'm doing.

1 comment:

Erik said...

It sounds like your day was decent. I know you'll get into the groove and it will work well. I'm glad you're excited about your health services system class. By the way, I think "The Hills" is the type of show that is a secret shame to everyone. My brother and I watched a season or two together in Morgantown.