Thursday, May 14, 2009

Must Listens on the Web

I started my summer internship at the Center for Healthcare Research and Transformation on Tuesday. One of the perks is I get to listen to music. One of the drawbacks is that music has to mostly come from the web. There is of course Pandora and Last.fm, but sometimes you want a whole album, or a specific artist, or a playlist that exactly matches the way researching the ROI on high quality preschool programs makes you feel. And for those things, my friends, I have compiled a list for you.

  • Exclusive First Listen on NPR Music – I am listening to John Vanderslice’s new album on here right now, which is fantastic.
  • Wilco (The Album) – this is a one off rather than a constant resource, but Wilco’s new album is streamed in its entirety.
  • Songza.com – basically an aggregator of streaming content from YouTube and iMeem, among others, you can make playlists on here. My own stream has whatever playlist I’m into right now, and the blog has featured playlists each day.
  • YouTube – sometimes it’s easier to just use the YouTube interface to save more than one playlist. Two of mine are songs I loved at 13 and one of Irish folk singer Lisa Hannigan.
  • Twitter music Monday – this one takes a bit of work. On Mondays, people on Twitter post songs they like. Those songs may rock, or they may suck. It’s part of what makes it awesome.
  • Hype Machine Radio – this is one of the cooler music aggregator ideas going on out there. Basically they aggregate music blogs, see what is trending, and make those songs available. The last three songs were T.I., Jordin Sparks, and Sunny Day Real Estate. Our collective consciousness has spotty but intriguing taste in music.
  • Music for Busy People – by invite only. If you know me, you should ask me for an invite. Makes me feel cool in a totally lazy way.
  • South By Southwest Music Player - songs from this years SXSW artists (it's a link in the right hand column)

1 comment:

Erik said...

I've not really used it, but I believe theRADIO.com is fairly good for getting artists and so forth. You should look into it if you've not. It may be helpful.